05 January 2016

New Wi-Fi standard offers greater range and lower consumption

Whenever I have a problem with any Wi-Fi network and anyone around me, I joked that "he who invented the Wi-Fi, rested." We have now entered 2016, but most networks have some problems, resulting in falls or significant decreases in speed. I can say in all sincerity that this happens to me from time to time being at least five meters from myrouter without any object that comes between him and any of the devices I use. It's why news like today are encouraging for me and certainly for many users.
The Wi-Fi Alliance has approved, at last, the long awaited standard 802.11ah Wi-Fi , a standard that has been called "Halow". Compatible devices operate in the band 900MHz unlicensed, who has a range of standard folding 2.4GHz while using less energy and provides greater penetration. The latter is something I would have liked to come before because in my case, I ended up having a CAT 6 cable through the roof of my house to take advantage of the speed that I have hired 300/30.
This standard will be key in the internet of things and connected households, something that so far has not reached all the points where it was expected. The problem until now were some electronic devices such as door sensors, cameras connected bulbs or who need to have enough energy to send data over long distances. The current standard does not permit or long-range or reach as far as we would like, not to mention the speed drops on each wall that has to cross the signal.
The Wi-Fi Alliance says Halow be compatible with existing protocols Wi-Fi  and many devices such as routers, operate in the traditional 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, which, in theory, open the door to a lot of new devices compatible with the 900MHz band in the near future. With all this, the question is: When can we take them into our homes?


No comments:

Post a Comment