06 February 2013

Review: Nokia Lumia 920 - My first Windows 8 smartphone

clip_image001

For my test of the new LTE 4G network Swisscom I have a Nokia Lumia 920 used and this is often used in addition to my iPhone. For me it was first of all matter in the new Windows 8 world for smartphones and immerse myself for years of abstinence to become familiar with a Nokia device. But Nokia today is comparable to the then leader and hardly the Lumia 920 is a nice package. Let me also briefly give my impression of the Nokia Flagship:

Specifications

  • 4.5 inches Nokia Pure Motion HD IPS LCD WXGA +
  • Super Sensitive Touch
  • Nokia ClearBlack with brightness mode and improved legibility in sunlight
  • 1.5 GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4
  • 8.7 MP with Nokia Pure View with advanced optical image stabilization and Carl Zeiss lens
  • Full 1080p HD video recording at 30fps
  • 1.2 MP front camera with 720p HD video
  • 1 GB of RAM
  • 32 GB of storage with 7GB of free SkyDrive storage
  • 2000mAh with integrated Qi Wireless Charging Function

Delivery

  • Nokia Lumia 920
  • Nokia Fast USB Charger AC-16
  • Nokia Micro-USB charging and data cable CA-190CD
  • Nokia Stereo Headset WH-208
  • Quick Guide
  • Key for the SIM card slot

Processing and haptics

My Lumia 920 is entirely in yellow, other available colors are red, black and white, but in doing so also the surfaces. The yellow version has a smooth surface and is easy to hold. The rounded back makes it a good time and use even with one hand, at least with my hands. What immediately strikes the "high" weight, but is certainly spoiled by handling the lightweight iPhone 5 For me, the biggest negative point of the smartphone. What I however really like the unibody enclosure, quite the Apple style and the large display.

clip_image002

Nokia Lumia 920 size comparison with iPhone 5

So the processing and feel right to me - because you can not complain. Only the 185 grams are that brings the Lumia 920 on the scales unfamiliar. There is still the way to praise the camera shutter, which is mounted so that the Lumia hold as a conventional camera and trigger can not be concealed, while the lens - well done Nokia!

Operating system Windows 8

The Nokia Lumia 920 is known to Windows. 8 with on board and that's why I was so excited about the Device I know all iPhones and Android-based smartphones I've tested some - Windows 8 is a novelty for me. The have also experienced the same way. Windows 8 has nothing to do with the operating concept of iOS and Android in common is a completely different structure to the surface to get used first needs. Nice uniform and coordinated everything looks for me but sometimes not clearly understood or what the symbols mean .

clip_image003

Windows 8 on the Nokia Lumia 920

In terms of applications from the store, one is naturally not yet caught up with the competition. Thus my major apps missing from Dropbox (there are third-party developer apps), a fully comprehensive GMail app, and so on. However my Nokia Drive navigation app + has fallen as well, including the voice. When we're on the subject, including Nokia Maps I find enjoyable and easy to use, convenient to the directions and public transport connections. Would prefer Apple's own product and arrange for Google Maps. Interesting I find the Nokia City compass of further helps with orientation in unfamiliar cities, except to eat what you find a place to sleep or just interest.

clip_image004

Nokia City compass - helping in any foreign city

Nokia Music offers the free streaming music mixes, which also can be made available offline. For this purpose we look for artists and the app then creates a playlist of similar songs. As a bonus, the app will also be concerts that take place in the next few days, appear. All in all, very well done in terms of apps that are available by default.

Nokia Lumia 920 in use

As I already mentioned in the beginning, we must focus on the Nokia Lumia 920 engage and Windows 8. The system see it as an interesting alternative to the market leaders Android and iOS, especially the graphical presentation is made very nice. After I had a few days to go I got along much better than at the beginning. The combination of Facebook is extremely strong integrated into the system, so you get the FB friends right away in the contacts list, with pictures and status updates. I am not a great fan of it, but whoever it is like to enjoy it safely.

As very successful I see the function of being able to load the Lumia 920 wirelessly. matching the station is not included and costs and what , but it makes sure that her! I had unfortunately not undergoing testing. In terms of battery life I get to the Lumia, as far as I get with the iPhone or the Galaxy S3, namely through the day. Overnight, the thing must be in the machine, since I come from my use of natural behavior is not around drum.

clip_image005

Nokia Lumia 920 - Smartphone nice - unfortunately somewhat difficult

Conclusion

For me, Windows 8 is a real alternative to iOS and Android, though currently still very naturally weakened by a lack of variety of apps - the habit of the variety of applications in the competition a little spoiled. But you get quite cope with the existing and the Nokia's own apps are made very well and work well so far! The Lumia 920 is a well-conceived and beautifully processed smartphone, with a lot of speed under the hood and a great Windows 8 integration. Very big negative is the weight, I felt being at the beginning of the test and beyond annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment